These are uncertain times for all of us, and over the coming weeks and months, we expect more New Yorkers to be turning to us to help put food on their tables. We’re already hearing that some soup kitchens and food pantries need to close their doors in light of health concerns, and we know supermarkets are running out of inventory and struggling to keep their shelves stocked. We must be prepared to step up and deliver more food to meet the need. We are committed to continuing our operations and feeding everyone who is relying on us today, and anyone who may need us tomorrow.
The bottom line is: our trucks will continue to be on the road, rescuing food, and delivering it, free of charge, to soup kitchens, food pantries, and other community food programs across the five boroughs.
· Since Friday, with the help of our staff and volunteers, we’ve organized a special repack where we repacked over 20,000 pound of food at our Food Rescue Facility. This food, including sweet potatoes, pears, and carrots, were assembled into family-sized portions and were immediately distributed at our two Mobile Markets in the South Bronx on Saturday.
· As you may have seen, New York City has announced that public schools will be closing this week. City Harvest is already mobilizing to help meet the needs of students and families who rely on free school meals and will be repacking grab and go food bags for students this week, beginning today.
· We are in close touch with the community food programs and partners we serve to hear what they are experiencing in their communities, and we are prepared to step up and deliver more food to meet the need.
· We are partnering with Citymeals on Wheels to deliver shelf-stable meals to meal centers across the five boroughs, to help feed seniors that are impacted by senior centers closing.
· Our nine Mobile Markets will maintain their current schedule and keep distributing free, fresh produce to communities across the city.
· We have also activated our Disaster Feeding Team and are developing contingency plans for reduced staffing, identifying projecting food needs and sources.
Your donation is 100% tax-deductible.
Click “Donate Now” to make a tax-deductible contribution. Thank you for your compassion, generosity, and support!